To be fair, I thought I should list the good stuff in Berkeley. I think if I could not be living in Oregon or Washington, the Bay Area would be next on the list.
Here goes, what Berkeley has and Portland does not:
1. Fantastic weather! Though, I never minded Portland’s.
2. Diversity! Resulting in fantastic restaurants and the possibility for Ellie to take a “Baby Mandarin” class. Though I’m not spending $30 for Ellie to walk around putting everything in her mouth while the adults recite single words in Chinese.
3. A good school where Jesse can get a PhD in Chinese languages and literature. He said today that a prof (from another university) told him that Berkeley was the only place Jesse could really study what he’s studying.
4. Good donuts
5. Close enough to drive to Parents, Grandparents and Cayucos without Ellie getting pissed off (as much)
6. Year-round farmer’s markets (ie, year round local produce)
7. The Sea
8. San Francisco nearby! (and even just looking at the cityscape from the East Bay)
9. New friends
10. Good, small, local markets for produce and meats and fishes
…and that’s it for now. I’m sure I’ll miss it here when we move to Minnesota for Jesse’s first teaching position.